John Oliver slams EPA head Scott Pruitt

John Oliver’s main focus on this week’s episode of Last Week Tonight was the faux abortion clinics known as Crisis Pregnancy Centers (he even started one himself), but that wasn’t his only target. Oliver also dedicated time Sunday to discussing the recent news stories about the ridiculous over-spending of EPA Secretary Scott Pruitt. Among other things, Pruitt has splurged on a full-time security detail that has even accompanied him on personal trips to Disneyland and the Rose Bowl.

“I’m a little torn on this one because on the one hand that does seem wasteful. But on the other hand, if anyone needs security at Disneyland, it’s Scott Pruitt — a man who even Mickey and Minnie Mouse would tell to go f–k himself,” Oliver declared. “‘Hey, Space Mountain’s gonna be underwater in 10 years, you son of a bitch! Get him, Minnie! Get him!”

Oliver did not go easy on Pruitt, but he was far from the only one to rake the EPA chief over the calls. Oliver also played clips from Pruitt’s recent interview with Fox News journalist Ed Henry, who asked confrontational questions about Pruitt’s housing and staff raises, and did not accept the secretary’s flimsy defenses.

“That is clearly not the Fox News tone that Pruitt was expecting,” Oliver said. “That is the face of a man who thought he was walking into an Applebee’s and ended up in an apple full of bees.”

Oliver did not even mention that Pruitt has also come under fire from other Republicans. Both of former President George W. Bush’s EPA leaders — William K. Reilly and Christine Todd Whitman — have been critical of Pruitt, as have sitting Republican leaders. Reilly called him a “third-rate ideologue” to the New York Times and Louisiana Sen. John Kennedy said Pruitt was “acting like a chucklehead” on Face the Nation Sunday.

Another critique has revolved around the fact that Pruitt was renting a condominium from an energy lobbyist at the exact same time that the EPA approved a pipeline-extension plan advocated by the lobbyist’s firm. Pruitt has compared this arrangement to cheap rentals on Airbnb or Craiglist, saying that he paid $50 a night — but as Oliver and his team proved, $50 a night doesn’t get you very far on Washington, D.C. rental sites.

“You can actually find places for $50 a night in D.C.,” Oliver said, pulling up some sample Airbnb …read more

Source:: Entertainment Weekly

      

Newsmax hires former Fox executive to run TV operations

NEW YORK (AP) — Newsmax has hired a former Fox News Channel executive to run its television operation, a sign that the media company is looking to become more competitive with the network that is the overwhelming favorite of conservative viewers.

Michael Clemente, appointed CEO of NewsmaxTV on Monday, once ran Fox’s news operation before losing a power struggle and leaving in 2016. Previously, he worked for 27 years at ABC News.

Chris Ruddy, who runs Newsmax Media, says the company has worked on building distribution for its television outlet and now wants to concentrate on programming.

For the first time this past weekend, Newsmax aired a special “No Spin News” commentary program from former Fox star Bill O’Reilly. But Ruddy said there are currently no discussions about making it a permanent show.

The post Newsmax hires former Fox executive to run TV operations appeared first on WTOP.

…read more

Source:: Wtop – Entertainment

      

Tina Fey: Online bullying makes her ‘Mean Girls’ relevant

NEW YORK (AP) — Tina Fey had no idea “Mean Girls” would be timelier today than it was 14 years ago. And that makes her a little uneasy.

The Emmy-winning actress and writer called it “unfortunate” that her stage adaptation of her 2004 movie is so timely.

She attended Sunday night’s opening night party with her husband, Jeff Richmond, who composed the music. Richmond says you can go to different emotional places through music.

Like the film, the musical tells the story of a teenage girl who grew up in Africa and ends up in a suburban U.S. high school. There she quickly learns the cruel nature of being popular.

The post Tina Fey: Online bullying makes her ‘Mean Girls’ relevant appeared first on WTOP.

…read more

Source:: Wtop – Entertainment

      

Westworld creators break silence on ‘spectacular’ Shogun World plans

The ultra-secretive showrunners of Westworld are finally ready tell us a little about Park 2. EW spoke exclusively to writer-producers Jonathan Nolan and Lisa Joy about the HBO sci-fi hit’s new world based on feudal Japan. The park’s existence was first teased in the drama’s debut season finale 16 months ago, and ever since has been a source of considerable fan excitement and speculation. Until recently, however, nobody even knew what this land filled with lethal katana-swinging androids was even called.

With Westworld set to return to HBO for its second season on April 22 (trailer here), we asked Nolan and Joy a few of our biggest burning questions about the introduction of Shogun World.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: Michael Crichton’s original 1973 film showed a Medieval World and Roman World in addition to the Western theme park. What made you go a very different direction and introduce Shogun World instead?
JONATHAN NOLAN: Part of the reason we’re going to Shogun World instead of to Roman World or Medieval World is, yes, you saw those in the original film. But also if you’re doing a theme park, you wouldn’t limit it to the Western European or North American experience. You’d try to reach a global audience. So the idea is you have a texture here that’s totally different.

And selfishly, it comes down to being obsessed with Japanese cinema as a kid and earnestly wanting to make an homage to Akira Kurosawa and the other films I grew up watching. My older brothers and I watched Sergio Leone Westerns and Kurosawa’s classic samurai films and were fascinated to discover they had the same plot. You had this wonderful call and response between these two genres — with the gunslinger and the ronin. They have identical tropes but are set within different cultures. Frankly, this was just a great excuse to go and make a samurai movie with all the trimmings.

LISA JOY: For me, it’s also personal. I grew up in Asia, and I remember as a little kid being in Taiwan watching films there and being so awed by these new worlds of entertainment. You saw new talents with the actors, new fighting styles, new types of wardrobe. It was exhilarating to me. So we looked to all our to make sure we had the full thrill of exploring Shogun World … researching hair and production design and costume, working with choreographers who were …read more

Source:: Entertainment Weekly

      

‘Future World’ Trailer: James Franco Rips Off ‘Mad Max,’ But Milla Jovovich and Lucy Liu Could Save the Day

Following the success of “The Disaster Artist,” James Franco will star in the sci-fi thriller “Future World,” which he co-directed. Using a color palette and costume design that bears an uncanny resemblance to both the original “Mad Max” as well as 2016’s “Mad Max: Fury Road,” “Future World” features car chases, cyborgs, and at least one reference to “the perfect woman.” Commence eye roll.

Read More:James Franco Tricked ‘The Disaster Artist’s Original Screenwriter Into Selling His Script for $5,000, Claims Lawsuit

The movie stars Suki Waterhouse as a cyborg assassin known as a “synthetic,” who is coveted by the likes of Franco, Milla Jovovich, and Snoop Dogg for her powers. Though it’s unclear exactly what’s going on, she begins to malfunction and goes renegade in an effort to save a potential love interest. The film also stars Lucy Liu as a character known only as “The Queen.

“Future World” is co-directed by Bruce Thierry Cheung, the cinematographer who lensed Franco’s previous directorial efforts, “In Dubious Battle,” “Bukowksi,” and “The Sound and the Fury.” Lionsgate will release “Future World” in theaters on May 25.

Read More:Sharon Stone Defends James Franco Against Sexual Misconduct Claims: ‘I’m Appalled With What’s Happening to Him’

Check out the trailer for “Future World” below.

Sign Up:Stay on top of the latest breaking film and TV news! Sign up for our Email Newsletters here.
…read more

Source:: Indiewire

      

Cardi B is the real deal on major-label debut Invasion of Privacy: EW review

Invasion of Privacy is a hustler’s tale told by a woman in a manner that hip-hop has only seen in fits and starts (see: Lil Kim’s verse on the 1995 Junior M.A.F.I.A. single “Get Money”), due in part to the male-dominated field’s historic reluctance to position a woman as a legitimate boss.

Cardi B is different because she demands more and doesn’t fit neatly into the genre’s existing female archetypes: she is neither the elevated sexpot with a knack for pithy one-liners, or the battle-hardened tomboy vetted by the guys on the block. Instead, she blurs those lines to her own benefit, leading with an irresistible personality established well before the arrival of her highly anticipated, already-gold-certified 2018 debut album. With it, she leapfrogs rap’s antiquated approach to inclusion to take her rightful place at the head of the table.

Fittingly, Invasion of Privacy opens with the “ashy to classy” manifesto “Get Up 10.” Picking up where Meek Mill’s 2012 “Dreams and Nightmares” left off, Cardi chronicles her meteoric rise from Uptown, New York strip club, Sue’s, to the top of the heap as arguably the most endearing and unlikely talent to disrupt rap — from underground to pop radio — since the arrival of Lauryn Hill:

“B—-s hated my guts, now they swear we was cool.
Went from makin’ tuna sandwiches to makin’ the news.
I started speakin’ my mind and tripled my views.
Real b—h, only thing fake is the boobs.”

While Cardi B and L-Boogie are technically stylistic opposites, the comparisons extend to the gargantuan lead single “Bodak Yellow,” which made Cardi the first solo female rapper to snag the number-one spot on Billboard’s Hot 100 chart since Ms. Hill’s 1998 Miseducation smash “Doo Wop (That Thing).”

After becoming a member of the cast of Love & Hip-Hop in 2015, Cardi B’s gift of gab bled into social media, where she became the Instagram darling whose infectious personality and foul mouth later found its rightful place on Gangsta B—-h Music Vol. 1, her first foray into music. The 2016 mixtape was a love letter to the strivers and scammers that jettisoned her from rap-adjacent reality TV to rap stardom.

Cardi followed with the Underestimated: The Album and Gangsta B—-h Music Vol. 2 mixtapes in 2016 and 2017, respectively. Both spoke to the club culture that raised Cardi, doubled down on her authenticity with a biting realness that countered the typically unsustainable personas reality soaps …read more

Source:: Entertainment Weekly

      

‘Game of Thrones’ Final Season Features a Battle So Huge It Took 55 Days to Film — Report

When HBO announced last September directors Miguel Sapochnik (“Battle of the Bastards”) and David Nutter (“The Rains of Castamere,” AKA the Red Wedding episode) were returning to film episodes of “Game of Thrones‘” final season, fans took it as confirmation the series was planing huge things for its curtain call. Assistant director Jonathan Quinlan has provided further confirmation by revealing that a recent Season 8 battle scene took 55 days to shoot.

Read More: ‘Game of Thrones’ Seasons Ranked, From to Worst to Best

Quinlan, who has served as assistant director on over 15 “Game of Thrones” episodes, took to Instagram to post the note that was sent to cast and crew thanking them for enduring the lengthy battle shoot (via Complex). At a reported 55 days, the Season 8 battle took over double the amount of time it took Sapochnik to film “Battle of the Bastards.” The acclaimed Season 6 episode took 25 days.

Quinlan’s caption reads: “Says it all. 55 consecutive nights. 11 weeks. 3 locations. You’ll never see anything like it.” The Instagram post was deleted several hours after going live, but “Game of Thrones” fan website Watchers on the Wall captured a screenshot of it. IndieWire has reached out to HBO for comment.

تم الانتهاء من تصوير احد حلقات الموسم الثامن حيث نشر المخرج المساعد Jonathan Quinlan رساله شكر عبر حسابه يقول : ” 55 ليلة متتالية. 11 اسبوع . 3 مواقع . لن ترى أبداً أي شيء يشبه ذلك”#قيم_اوف_ثرونز pic.twitter.com/USczdcvNid

— قيم اوف ثرونز (@Ar_GOT0) April 7, 2018

“Game of Thrones” Season 8 will consist of six episodes, most of which are expected to be at or around feature-length. The series will not return to HBO until 2019.

Sign Up:Stay on top of the latest breaking film and TV news! Sign up for our Email Newsletters here.
…read more

Source:: Indiewire