David DePape, the man who police say broke into Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s home and assaulted her husband Paul Pelosi, pleaded not guilty to criminal charges (Picture: AP)
The man charged with attacking House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s husband with a hammer has pleaded not guilty to criminal charges.
On October 28, David DePape was arrested after he allegedly broke into the House Speaker’s home in San Francisco and attacked her husband, Paul Pelosi, with a hammer.
DePape, 42, appeared before California court for a formal arraignment on Wednesday, where he pleaded not guilty to state criminal charges, including assault, attempted murder, elder abuse, burglary, and false imprisonment.
He previously pleaded not guilty at a preliminary hearing immediately after his arrest in October. DePape confirmed his not guilty plea on Wednesday, and also waived his right to a speedy trial. His next court date was scheduled for February 23, 2023.
A courtroom sketch artist renders David DuPape as he pleads not guilty to federal charges in November (Picture: REUTERS)
In November, DePape also pleaded not guilty to federal charges. These included the assault of an immediate family member of a US official.
According to the criminal complaint against him, DePape told investigators that he viewed Speaker Pelosi as the ‘leader of the pack of lies told by the Democratic Party.’ He said that he wanted to ‘break her kneecaps.’
DePape said he had entered Pelosi’s home looking for the Speaker, who was in Washington DC at the time for a legislative session. When she wasn’t home, he instead confronted her husband Paul.
‘By breaking Nancy’s kneecaps, she would then have to be wheeled into Congress, which would show other members of Congress there were consequences to actions,’ the criminal complaint against DePape reads.
DePape said his original target was House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, but instead attacked her husband Paul Pelosi (Picture: REUTERS)
When police officers responded to Paul Pelosi’s 911 call, the arrived to find DePape assaulting the 82-year-old with a hammer while shouting ‘Where is Nancy?’
Paul was hospitalized immediately after the attack, where he underwent surgery for a skull fracture and injuries to his right arm and hand. His surgeries were successful, and he was discharged on November 3.
Got a story? Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at email@example.com. Or you can submit your videos and pictures here.
For more stories like this, check our news page.
Follow Metro.co.uk on Twitter and Facebook for the latest news updates. You can now also get Metro.co.uk articles sent straight to your device. Sign up for our daily push alerts here.