Toronto man who vanished during New York ski trip found 2,900 miles away. He doesn’t remember how he got there

A hiker who left Whiteface Mountain in New York was recently found alive but confused 2,900 miles away in Sacramento, California.

According to NBC-5, Constantinos “Danny” Filippidis, a 49-year-old man from Toronto, went missing last Wednesday, Feb. 7, while at the resort at Whiteface Mountain in Wilmington, New York.

Filippidis’ friends said they couldn’t find him as the resort closed last Wednesday.

Posted by Whiteface on Friday, February 9, 2018

The Toronto skier originally traveled to Whiteface Mountain for a ski retreat with eight friends. Though his friends decided to end their run early, Filippidis went back out for one last run in the early afternoon. He never came back, according to the New York DailyNews.

Hundreds of volunteers searched for Filippidis over the last week, according to More than 140 people from the New York State Police, the Department of Homeland Security and New York State Department of Environmental Conservation looked for Filippidis.

The group spent a combined 7,000 hours look for the lost skier, according to The Albany Times-Union.

The multi-agency search for a skier missing on Whiteface Mountain continued through the weekend. Constantinos “Danny” Filippidis was reported missing at 4:30 pm, February 7th. DEC Forest Rangers with @nyspolice and staff from Whiteface Mountain have been searching for Filippidis.

— NYSDEC (@NYSDEC) February 12, 2018

But then Filippidis called his wife from a Sacramento airport this week, according to NY Daily News. He received medical help and then called the Sacramento police. He was reportedly in good health.

Toronto Professional Firefighters Local 3888 President Frank Ramagnano told NBC-5 that Filippidis was confused and couldn’t answer questions about how he arrived on the other side of the country.

Ramagano said Filippidis was wearing the same clothes, helmet and gear that he was last seen in when he went missing.

“I don’t know how he got there or why he got there,” Ramagnano told the Times Union. “Rightfully so, it is under investigation. … No matter what they discover, it doesn’t take away from the nearly 200 people who came together to help.”

Filippidis did, however, remember a nickname he had for his wife when he spoke with her, Ramagnano said.

Ramagnano said authorities will continue to investigate the situation. He said he is unaware of Filippidis had any substance abuse or mental health issues.

“We understand that there will be speculation and many questions at this time, however, please appreciate that authorities will be conducting a full and thorough investigation …read more

Source:: Usa latest news – World


(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)

Be the first to comment

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.